Strawberry Poison Dart Frog (aka the Blue Jeans Frog)

Strawberry Poison Dart Frog, La Selva, Costa RicaMy sister Mo requested a frog today. My mother wanted anything red and blue — in honor of her beloved Patriots (and as a counter point to the Eagle I posted on Monday). I think this should satisfy both asks. A strawberry poison dart frog. Also known as a blue jeans frog, for obvious reasons. I’ve photographed these tiny frogs in several places in Costa Rica. This one was clinging to a dried leaf in La Selva Biological Reserve, not far from the capital city of San Jose.
Nikon D200 with Nikkor 70-200mm lens (at 200mm) with Canon 500D close up filter attached, ISO 100, f/3.5 at 1/10th of a second

This entry was posted in Costa Rica.

8 Comments

1. Karen Moore February 7, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

Looks suspiciously like Broncos colors to me (more orange than red) LOL 🙂

• Sean Crane February 8, 2018 at 10:53 am #

Ha. Clearly red, but I think I would like him a bit better if he were orange and blue.

2. Sue February 7, 2018 at 11:47 pm #

You just scored a touchdown, Sean, on several levels! That is one awesome image!

• Sean Crane February 8, 2018 at 10:54 am #

Ha. Thanks Sue. And I made my Mom happy, so that’s most important.

3. Donna Zentek February 8, 2018 at 5:45 am #

Two for one. I like it’s nickname, blue jean frog. How so is it poisonous? If you touch it or its saliva? Is it deadly poisonous?

• Sean Crane February 8, 2018 at 11:54 am #

Hey Donna, certain poison dart frogs can be quite lethal to humans, the most poisonous among them has enough toxin to kill up to ten adults. They are called dart frogs because native tribes used to dip the tip of their spears on the frog’s back before using. But the blue jeans frog isn’t known to be particularly harmful to humans and can at best make you sick if you were to eat one. But yes, the poison is secreted on the skin of the frog.

4. mom February 8, 2018 at 7:20 am #

Touchdown! Frogger would have been a great color combo to represent our Pats! Nice going, Sean. Maybe we can come up with an appropriate acronym to replace GOAT……..although TB12 is still the greatest in my eyes. But FROG could be something beginning with Football Reigns Over G…?

5. Mo Crane February 8, 2018 at 5:02 pm #

Love it Seanie!!!! Been missing the frogs.