White Wallaby With Joey

White Wallaby with Joey, Bruny Island, Tasmania, AustraliaBennett’s wallabies are usually brown, but on Bruny Island in Tasmania there is a small population of white ones that live amongst the darker members of the troupe (that’s what you call a group of wallabies, a troupe… or a mob… or a court). In fact a white mother will commonly give birth to a brown joey. In this photo, the joey appears to be looking up at mom, considering all that white fur, wondering if he crawled into the wrong pouch and saying, “wait a minute, you’re my Mom?”
Nikon D810 with Nikkor 200-400mm lens (at 400mm) ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/125th of a second

This entry was posted in Tasmania.

8 Comments

1. Lix January 9, 2018 at 1:35 am #

Sweet picture. But as a “white mom,” myself, of beautiful brown babies, I like to think that Joey isn’t thinking “you’re my mom?” But “I love my beautiful mom.” Or “How comfy cozy I am to be snuggled up in your pouch!” Isn’t just like the human kind to put such a spin on something so natural and beautiful.

• Sean Crane January 9, 2018 at 11:14 am #

Thanks for the comment Lix. Didn’t mean to offend. Was just a joke about the baby’s expression. Of course, as Rachel points out, one can never presume anything that an animal might actually be thinking — this guy probably just wanted to get out and eat some grass. And the nice thing on Bruny Island is that there is no apparent discrimination (unlike some other species where an individual with an albino mutation might be exiled from the herd). The Bruny white wallabies have just as much success finding a mate (brown or white) as the brown wallabies. Unfortunately, in other areas of Australia, the white genetic mutation of a Bennett’s wallaby might not have as good a chance of survival due to being sun sensitive, prone to cancer and having vision problems. A lack of predators on Bruny makes for a healthy environment for them to thrive.

2. Donna Zentek January 9, 2018 at 9:17 am #

Love it.

3. Sue January 9, 2018 at 10:27 am #

That image is beyond darling!

4. Rachel Bellenoit January 9, 2018 at 10:32 am #

To quote Sue, …this ‘image is beyond darling!’ I think all humans are guilty of putting human emotions into cute animal photos. We tend to assume what animals are thinking, when we really don’t know. Maybe they’re not thinking but just feeling. This joey could well be thinking ‘when can I get out and play?’ or ‘it’s getting crowded in here!’. 🙂

5. Shardae January 9, 2018 at 11:26 am #

You KNOW I love this!! 🙂

6. Peter Butterfield January 9, 2018 at 2:00 pm #

—– Lost on the way to tea
    —– A Beatrix Potter mum
    —– Reassures her joe
    —– Though the path ahead
    —– Seems fraught
    —– They must trust the guidance
    —– Of their love.

7. michael huber January 9, 2018 at 10:50 pm #

It doest matter the color we are, ) , we love them black, white , brown, or pink ect. ) this cute pic. of the wallabee. )