Best of 2017

As the year comes to an end, time to look back on the highlights of 2017. For the first time in about 15 years, I didn’t do any international shooting (well, with the exception of a few days in St. Barths). But on an otherwise slow year with the camera, I did take advantage of a few work trips and a great week in Alaska in September. Here, in chronological order, are my top ten images that I captured this year, all previously posted in the last twelve months. (I obviously post images from previous years too, but they are not reflected here).

I was a judge at an advertising awards show in Miami in January and took full advantage by staying the weekend and photographing Key deer on Big Pine Key south of the city and then traveling north for burrowing owls in Cape Coral.

Red-Footed Tortoise, Saint Barthelemy
In February, the aforementioned trip to St. Barths allowed for some close encounters with rare red-footed tortoises.

Hermit Crab, Colombier Beach, Saint BarthelemyI was also able to get a few good looks at the local fiddler crabs.

Thistledown Velvet Ant, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, California
In May, a work trip took me to Los Angeles. I was able to get out to one of my favorite wildlife hotspots in Anza-Borrego State Park. I didn’t have luck with the usual suspects (jackrabbits, coyote and desert bighorn) but I did capture this macro shot of a thistledown velvet ant.

Coastal Brown Bear, Lake Clark National Park, AlaskaThe Alaska trip was mostly about brown bears and moose. I was able to capture lots of action shots of the bears as they chased fish at low tide in Lake Clark National Park.

Bull Moose, Chugach State Park, AlaskaIn Chugach State Park in Anchorage, I got up close and personal with several bull moose during the fall rut.

Coastal Brown Bear at Sunrise, Lake Clark National Park, AlaskaThe weather was mostly overcast and rainy, but I did have one great morning when the skies opened for this early morning silhouette shot of a coastal brown bear.

Red Fox, Lake Clark National Park, AlaskaNo matter how many times I see them, it’s always a treat to photograph red fox. This guy was just bedding down when I was returning to the lodge after a day of photographing bears.

Brown Bear Shaking Off Water, Lake Clark National Park, AlaskaAnd speaking of bears, here’s another at close range and from my preferred low angle. This mama bear was giving herself a good shake off after a morning of fishing.

Sea Otter Mom and Pup, Morro Bay, CaliforniaAnother work trip took me back to Los Angeles in October. This time I headed north to Morro Bay where I spent a few days photographing the local sea otters. Here’s hoping 2018 brings many more creatures (both locally and internationally). Happy New Year everyone.

This entry was posted in North America, Saint Barthelemy.

23 Comments

1. Karen Rose January 1, 2018 at 2:32 am #

Just want to say thank you so much for one wonderful 2017 and sharing all your amazing work with all of us I wish you a very happy 2018 keep on shooting

2. Karen Moore January 1, 2018 at 5:40 am #

I’ll join Karen Rose in saying “Thank You” for sharing your wonderful photography with us and to wish you and your wife a terrific 2018! Happy New Year 🙂

• Sean Crane January 3, 2018 at 8:24 am #

Thanks Karen. Happy New Year to you too.

3. Sue January 1, 2018 at 8:23 am #

Today’s blog could well be retitled, “For Your Next Photo Safari, Think USA!” Your beautiful images, Sean, underscore that there are amazing creatures right here within our borders that are worthy of any wildlife photographer’s focus.

I add my thanks to those of others, Sean, that you bring us your stellar photography not only from around the globe but also from our collective States. I look forward each day to seeing the “eye candy” you leave for us. Keep up the great photography and thanks for sharing Mother Nature’s best!

Happy New Year, Sean, and Happy New Year to the greater seancrane.com family!

• Sean Crane January 3, 2018 at 8:31 am #

Thanks Sue. Happy New Year. Yes, I always tell my New York-centric friends that travel internationally but never locally that the US is perhaps the most geographically, and biologically, diverse countries on earth.

4. Donna Zentek January 1, 2018 at 10:45 am #

Thank you Sean for your pictures throughout the years. I enjoy opening them.

5. Rachel Bellenoit January 1, 2018 at 10:46 am #

Thank you so much, Sean, for sharing your stunning photography with us! This year, in particular, has brought home just how much beautiful wildlife we have in the USA. Happy New Year! Looking forward to your photos of the day through 2018!

• Sean Crane January 3, 2018 at 8:32 am #

Thanks Rachel. I love traveling internationally to exotic places, but never tire of what we have here in the United States.

6. Mary Brenner January 1, 2018 at 10:54 am #

Your shots are inspirational! Thank you always for sharing.

7. GH January 1, 2018 at 11:59 am #

Thanks for bringing these beautiful animals to us, Sean. Looking forward to more great shots in 2018.

8. Peter Butterfield January 1, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

—– Pack up all my care and woe
    —– Here I go swinging low
    —– Bye bye last year
    —– Who knows where tomorrow
    —– Will take me but a surfeit
    —– Of creatures will await me
    —– All in their proper place to go .

—– I scrolled through last years posts
    —– How did you choose?
    —– Thanks Sean and to you and all
    —– HAPPY NEW YEAR

• Sean Crane January 3, 2018 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Peter. I did hold myself to the rule of photos-that-I-took this year and not just that I posted. Happy New Year.

9. Laura Mann January 1, 2018 at 4:21 pm #

Your photos are a remarkable reminder of the gift we have right here in the US with visual riches within our National Parks and wildlife areas. Thanks for so eloquently spreading the gospel. I look forward to the next year’s images from wherever you are. Happy New Year!

10. michael huber January 1, 2018 at 8:40 pm #

Thankyou for all the great pic. hope you great happy new . ) hope see all new pic. in 2018 ) I want to buy new camera that is up to date, the one I have is 14 years old, it still take good pic. ) it 10 menga pixel camera, it still take good pic. it take the big sd card. ) hope see lots good pic. for t5he year 2018. )

11. Susan Rubeo January 2, 2018 at 3:42 pm #

Sean a great year of photos so much more to come from you in 2018 , enjoyed learning of all your travels & a Thank You for sharing all with us
    Happy New Year

Aunt Sue PS if your in Florida give a call

• Sean Crane January 3, 2018 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Aunt Sue. Happy New Year to you guys too.

12. TG January 5, 2018 at 9:06 pm #

Sean, As always, amazing! Love seeing your pictures!